Autodesk Field Survey coordinate file

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Autodesk Field Survey coordinate file

Postby ergols1727 » Mon May 05, 2014 7:00 am

How do I import/read a coordinate file that has been created in Autodesk's Field Survey program? The file has a crd extension.
ergols1727

Re: Autodesk Field Survey coordinate file

Postby saltitone » Mon May 05, 2014 7:21 am

I think as long as your ascii import parameters are the same as the parameters of the .crd, i.e. comma or space delimited, and the proper format for North, East, etc. Microsurvey should import the file.
saltitone

Postby ergols1727 » Mon May 05, 2014 8:01 am

The "coordinate" file appears to be in binary, can't read it with notepad. If this was a simple matter of reading an ascii file I could handle that. The file has to be converted somehow into something I (and the Microsurvey program) can actually read.
ergols1727

Postby saltitone » Mon May 05, 2014 10:14 am

I checked on the Autodesk web site for files with the .crd extension and there seems to be several companies that use the .crd including Carlson and Trimble. How you convert the file depends which company's software created the file.
saltitone

Postby ergols1727 » Mon May 05, 2014 1:14 pm

I can turn on the point nodes, point numbers, elevations and descriptions. Is there a routine that will capture that information (window selection for example) and then read the information and build a new coordinate database, populating it with those values? I've run "mspoints/other program ties" routines (Carlson, Eagle Point, Civil 3d, point blocks) and some of them seem to "see" the information but the points don't get created. If we could read the points out of our old cad drawings that were built/calc'd using Autodesk Field Survey then we could re-acquire our coordinate information at least, even if we can't pull that information out of the crd file.
ergols1727

Postby TentMonster » Fri May 16, 2014 9:02 am

Try exporting an ASCII file from Autodesk and see if you can bring it into MSCAD that way.
TentMonster

Return to MicroSurvey CAD