Project workflow

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Project workflow

Postby DaveR » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:16 pm

I have a question about project management and sharing points between drawings.

I have been using LDD for years and have recently come over to MicroSurvey(2014). In LDD, a project directory is created for each job, then each new drawing within that job is saved within that project. So, you end up with multiple drawings (example: topos, certificates, postings) all sharing the same points database within the same project directory. This was a very clean way of maintaining multiple drawings with separate needs (example: layers or linework).

Moving on to MicroSurvey: I'm in a situation where I need to know if something will work *before* I try it, so I am asking for a little help. I haven't been able to fully explore this type of workflow, but I'm wondering if it is possible within MS. I would like to create multiple drawings using a linked points database to reduce clutter in each drawing. I could create multiple tabs but I like separate drawings better.
In the Project Manager, would you recommend that I 'Create Project Directory' for each new project, and then create a new drawing? Then later when I create another new drawing, 'Set Project Directory' to the original one and create a new drawing in here again? This might be an obvious questions, but will this create 2 drawings that share and update the same points database in the same directory?

I've played around a bit with these options but it is so difficult to search for a project by going to 'Set Project Directory' each time and working through the collapsible folders just to find my job. I feel like I must be missing something. In LDD, there were easy-to-use drop-down menus for the directory.

Thanks for the help.
DaveR

Re: Project workflow

Postby DaveR » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:23 pm

I guess I've come to the realization that there is no easy way to link databases between drawings in MicroSurvey, so how about I turn this thread around and ask a simple questions:

Assuming that you have multiple survey jobs (topo, construction, subdivision, etc) within the same MS drawing, how do you maintain a well-organized and clutter-free drawing? Do you have a layer for every possible scenario? Do you have separate layout tabs for every printout? What do you do?

I'm trying to come up with a clutter-free system....

Thanks again.
DaveR

Re: Project workflow

Postby TentMonster » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:23 pm

Typically in MS you would create multiple tabs to be able to produce multiple printed sheets (printed drawings). You can only have a single DWG file linked to the database file. I do the same thing in Civil 3D, MS and LDD and have done it this way for years in all 3 programs. If you do need to generate a separate DWG file with a database of the same points, then you can transfer the points from the original drawing to the second drawing. They are not lnked so if you modify a point in the first drawing it is not modified in the second drawing unless you modify it there too. Paper space tabs make the job easy and convenient. Also remember that LDD is a dead program for a reason. :)

Cheers,
TentMonster

Return to MicroSurvey CAD