Tsrget manager

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Tsrget manager

Postby Richard Sands » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:17 am

I tried to set up some target info but unless the instrument is connected it won't allow that.
Not sure why that side is locked out when not connected.
I can think of nothing worse than on a bleak miserably cold day standing behind the instrument making changes that will then allow rapid surveying once it gets going.
Similarly in the middle of traffic when all you want is to get the job done and leave.
Most jobs are similar, however some have unique one off for job targets that could be set up before actual starting surveying.
Not sure how others view this but I'd appreciate this be opened up to any time editing, just like other areas of FG.
Richard Sands

Re: Tsrget manager

Postby Yifan Xia » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:27 pm

Hi Richard,

This is probably due to an old design, but we may need to keep it that way because we have to make sure the target you set in FieldGenius is synced with your instrument.

The syncing can happen in two places:
1. When you take a shot - Syncing targets and EDM modes will add significant delay to each measurement. This is not desirable if you measure hundreds of points every day.
2. At Target Manager - This is how it is done in FG 7.3 or later, we sync the target type and EDM modes when you finish configuration in the target manager and send those info to the instrument directly. This is why having instrument connected is a requirement.
Yifan Xia
Mobile Products Manager
MicroSurvey Software Inc.
Yifan Xia

Re: Tsrget manager

Postby Richard Sands » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:31 pm

I can see there's a bit more to this.

Unfortunately my Nikon 821 doesn't work with FG interactively like you describe.
So nothing gets uploaded to Nikon.
Be nice if you reworked FG to upload as well as download.

Doesn't the set up of instruments allow editing or creation without connection?
I thought it did.

Hopefully some resolution can be reached.

Thanks for reply.
Richard Sands

Return to FieldGenius