Average Points - FG 8

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Average Points - FG 8

Postby Richard Sands » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:55 am

I can't work out just how to average points in the latest FG 8.
I looked for an updated manual.
The Overview http://s3.microsurvey.com.s3.amazonaws.com/fieldgenius/FieldGenius8/ReleaseNote/FieldGenius_8.0_Overview.pdf mentions it but doesn't elaborate.
Can you please enlighten as to how we actually get points that are in an averaging routine mode.
Richard Sands

Re: Average Points - FG 8

Postby saltitone » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:04 am

After accessing the point database you must select the points that is to be averaged, this can be done either by using the "FIND" feature in Point Database or if you have a data collector that allows you to select the points. (I use a Windows 8 tablet that allows me to select by using "ctrl" + tapping the point number in the database screen). Then go to the averaging routine by selecting the green arrow at the bottom left corner until you get to the "AVERAGE" button. It is straight forward from there.

Sal
saltitone

Postby Richard Sands » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:55 am

thanks Sal.
I'm not sure that's how new FG 8 works though.
I hadn't realised when you save a measured point you have 3 options. Store, Average, Traverse.
I still haven't nutted out how the 'Average' routine works from there on and frankly can't see a use along those lines when we have a Multishot routine already that does just that in a far simpler way. Averages measured points and options to include hor/ vert and combinations of such.

I can't find how the way you described would work in FG 8.

My other initial use comment is I find it a backward step to introduce another step into the Store points routine.
FG 7 had 2 buttons for store, Store SS and Store Tr(averse) and Cancel.
Previous was a cleaner presentation.
Perhaps there's some benefit for something.
Now we have to invoke another drop down list.

maybe a Help file, Manual or Video would be beneficial.
Maybe others can chime in here?
Richard Sands

Postby saltitone » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:16 pm

I now see what you are saying. I didn't try to use the method you mentioned. I think that average routine is probably geared to GPS and not total station.
saltitone

Postby mkaic » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:45 pm

there is a video tutorial for doing this. should work with GNSS or TS.

http://s3.microsurvey.com/fieldgenius/m ... aging.html
mkaic

Postby Richard Sands » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:08 am

thanks for the link.

I can see merit for GPS but not so much for TS. Well I have my reservations.

For now my initial thoughts are still current based on the ease of use and work flow, and the multipoint option.
I think the dropdown list is worst part.

If one was to invoke that routine like any other (a stand alone option), the workflow would be far less menu driven.
I would imagine we all make a conscious decision (well I would) to go for averaged point before we hit the record/ store button.
That would then be just like any other 'next point' decision, to chose which option to invoke.

Invoke "Average Point", read first point, number it, and then just keep on reading and storing until finished then move on. Either to visit the averaged point, edit and store or save, or keep recording data and come back to routine later.
I think that would be a far cleaner way to go and not need a drop down list, meaning we then have the previous 2 buttons for TS recording, Store or Traverse.
Latter saves time in field.
It's not so much the time factor, its the ease of use and the less pecking at the screen the better, particularly when in oft difficult locations and on stinking hot sunny days when ease of viewing the screen is diminished.
Real field stuff, experiential use, not demo mode for show.
My 2 bobs worth.
Richard Sands

Return to FieldGenius