MSCAD 2015 Crashing

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

MSCAD 2015 Crashing

Postby Eric Anderson » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:27 am

Is it just me, or does MSCAD2015 v15.0.3.1574 seem to crash much more frequently than previous versions of MSCAD?

I think I'm sending an error report 2 out of every 3 days, sometimes more than one report a day! 99% of the time it crashes when I launch MSCAD using the quick start button in the task bar or when I'm shutting down by clicking on the 'x' in the upper right hand corner. When that happens I get the Crash Report Handler and I send an error report, but I never hear boo about those error reports I send.
Eric Anderson
Senior Survey Technician
Olmsted County Public Works
Rochester, MN
Eric Anderson

Re: MSCAD 2015 Crashing

Postby Rick Wilson » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:21 am

I think everyone is having the same crashing problems with 2015
Rick Wilson

Postby Richard Sands » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:28 pm

Not sure about 'every one', but at least there's 3 known that have voiced their concerns.
I'm one of them!
What I find quite vexing is the number of times I have filled out those "sorry you have crashed" reports with as much detail as possible, which most often it just happens or on closing a dwg and then MsCad up it pops, and never have I had a response to indicate if they ever get read or heeded. (I've asked such in my reporting)
It takes time, effort and diligence to faithfully try and report why and what and it makes one wonder "why bother"

I put in a support request and had some online and phone discussions centering around Antivirus.
I used to use Kaspersky, then in last month changed to Bitdefender.
I have isolated Mscad from being scanned, turned off internet and all antivirus but the issues still persist.
I'm Win 7 Pro 64 bit.

I have other Cad software and never experience crashes in that.
Only crash I have is occasional CanvasGIS but it doesn't lose data. Retsart and I'm away again.
Manifold GIS - rock solid.

I often find when MsCad crashes there is another icad.exe lurking but not visible. I always check with Task Manager and end any hangers on.

Personally for my use this makes life very time consuming and frustrating in many ways.
There are still issues that were reported fixed that are still there. Copy layers for egs.
It would be interesting to hear from other users their experience.
Richard Sands

Postby Eric Anderson » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:25 am

I'm running MSCad2015 v15.0.3.1574 (64bit) on Windows 7 (64 bit).

I've been thinking of switching to MSCad2015 (32bit) to see if that will reduce the number of crashes and other bugs that I've been experiencing. Of course that requires a call to my IT department so that they can uninstall and then install...
Eric Anderson
Senior Survey Technician
Rochester, MN
Eric Anderson

Postby fjt_aus » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:48 pm

The crashing was ridiculously bad for me. So bad that I gave up on 2015 and just kept using 2014.

I recently went back to it for one last try, figuring that it must be just one random setting that I have overlooked. After a bit of investigation, it turns out I was right. I have fixed my crashing problem by doing the following:
Go to TOOLS>OPTIONS>DISPLAY TAB and remove the tick from the Hardware Acceleration box.

I haven't had a single crash since doing this, when I couldn't even OPEN some drawings before without the whole program just closing down. The downside is that the refresh rate of the screen and speed of use is noticeably slower. I occasionally have chunks of information on my screen disappear but a manual re-gen brings everything back.

Interestingly, we received an email from Microsurvey the day after I figured this out. This was in the email: We believe the Quadro graphics card is the problem with MSCAD 2015. This is a known issue and is supposedly fixed in the latest build of the IntelliCAD 8.1 BETA. MSCAD 2016 will be built on top of IntelliCAD 8.1, however 2016 won't be finished for a few more months.

Guess what graphics card I have?

I hope this helps some of you.
fjt_aus

Postby Eric Anderson » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:25 am

Thank fjt_aus! I will give that a try.

Heh, I crashed twice launching MSCAD so I could make this change... :(
Eric Anderson
Senior Survey Technician
Rochester, MN
Eric Anderson

Postby Eric Anderson » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:39 am

It appears to be helping with my crashing, but it has done nothing for my 'Right Mouse Button' setting. i.e. I have my Right Mouse Button set to bring up the Short Cut Menu when an entity is selected, however, 6/7 times out of 10 it will repeat my last command instead of bringing up the Short Cut Menu, which is more than mildly annoying.
Eric Anderson
Senior Survey Technician
Rochester, MN
Eric Anderson

Postby fjt_aus » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:55 pm

Eric Anderson wrote:It appears to be helping with my crashing, but it has done nothing for my 'Right Mouse Button' setting. i.e. I have my Right Mouse Button set to bring up the Short Cut Menu when an entity is selected, however, 6/7 times out of 10 it will repeat my last command instead of bringing up the Short Cut Menu, which is more than mildly annoying.

That has been happening to me too. I'm thinking its a bug.
fjt_aus

Postby Richard Sands » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:43 pm

Thanks fit_aus.
I turned mine off, but then it behaved like a cornered dog.
Refused to load a geotiff, and was plain aweful. (Regen included)
i persevered, but probably won't as it makes life more unbearable.
Richard Sands

Postby Jack Van Beek » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:41 am

Add me to the list of constant crashes. Seems to be getting worse. Along with a text editor that doesn't work properly. I am also thinking of going back to 2014. This is getting to too much. Spend half my time redoing things....This needs to be fixed!!
Jake
Jack Van Beek

Postby Eric Anderson » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:42 pm

Well, I haven't crashed trying to launch MSCAD 2015 since I turned off the Hardware Acceleration, but this week I seem to be crashing every time I shut down MSCAD. :(
Eric Anderson
Senior Survey Technician
Rochester, MN
Eric Anderson

Postby Richard Sands » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:19 pm

Eric I have been getting these frequently and randomly.
They appear after I close MsCad (as well as whilst working, but mostly after closing MsCad 2015)
MsCAd Crash.jpg
A Typical report card where the error report appears after closing MsCad 2015
MsCAd Crash.jpg (97.03 KiB) Viewed 21800 times

Just now I am getting the nag screen telling me maintenance is due for renewal (MsCad 2015), together with a recent rash of emails extolling the virtues of Field Genius, MsCad etc and how it can change your world.
That gets a bit weary as constant foibles, issues carrying through from MsCad 2013 and before, and still persistent today and no service packs etc makes one wonder if there is any real commitment to manage and address these issues.
I've been castigated in the past for raising such issues but what can one do but raise them again.

I have found Microsurvey Support as well as Shannon in handling my keys (thanks people) has been excellent, but they can't offer 'fixes' for broken parts of a program.

Personally from my observation BricsCad is far better. It's robust, is taken extremely seriously by the developers (= owners), has a very strong and supportive world wide user base forum where help is often 5 minutes away.
Having seldom (1 per 2-3 months?) crashes or issues with BricsCad I cant more highly recommend and to have MsCad running inside that would be a very positive move.
IntelliCad with MsCad has been dogged with issues from day one. Large Geotiff Images are still an issue, even some minute ones.
Layer issues have followed us from version to version despite it supposedly being fixed.
Yes it's Cad side has improved, but not enough for me to finish my drawings in, hence BricsCad.
I have spoken with other developers who write applications and they share my experiences and don't recommend IntelliCad.

Recently doing some work with Traverse editor open I was confronted with an ever unfolding string of messages and only way to rid them was to force close.
Every time I hit Esc or OK another error box appeared over the previous one.
2015-09-15_16-30-30.jpg
2015-09-15_16-30-30.jpg (131.53 KiB) Viewed 21800 times

I also have an invoice for maintenance on FG, but after upgrading to version 8 and it bringing with it some unpleasant changes rendering it useless in certain areas I'm loath to support that also.
I did report to Support, but as they weren't how do you do this or that could only pass my comments onto the developers.
Then after a day or so I found the case closed and asked for input as to the level of support I received which I answered but as yet have had no feedback on any of the problems version 8 has produced (at my end)

So the future is uncertain and not particularly reassuring.
We live in hope though.
Richard Sands

Postby Richard Sands » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:51 pm

Actually this incessant crashing is not good.
Not good for me and not good for Microsurvey.
it's a no win situation.

Another error message after finishing COGO, delete some points, edit layers, purge layers and blocks and create a FG project then close.
Then up pops a message saying Micosurvey is sorry for the inconvenience .....................................

I just restarted MsCAd and same job and saved several times and this pops up.
This is typical of many jobs - similar error message, just job name different.
2015-09-22_9-47-14.jpg
A typical error crash dialogue box, common to any job at any time
2015-09-22_9-47-14.jpg (30.56 KiB) Viewed 21771 times

Please take these issues seriously and address the problem(s), along with other fixes for errors etc carrying through various iterations of MsCAd into the present.
Richard Sands

Postby Eric Anderson » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:40 am

I've noticed now over the past day or two, that MSCad is running really sluggish. Especially when trying to zoom and pan around in my drawing. There's about a 2 second delay. :(

I think I'm going to take the time and install MSCAD 2015 32 bit to see if that alleviates the crashing and sluggish behaviour (spelled it the King's English way for you Canucks :D).
Eric Anderson
Senior Survey Technician
Rochester, MN
Eric Anderson

Postby Eric Anderson » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:36 am

Installed MSCAD 2015 32-bit this morning and I'm experiencing the same behaviour. Running sluggish, had to turn of hardware acceleration if I don't want crashes when I launch. Get occasional crashes when shutting down and random lock ups. However, it appears it locks up most frequently when I click on MicroSurvey Assistant>Set Program Defaults>Drawing Units or CAD Settings.

Mildly annoying, seriously considering to reinstall MSCAD 2014...
Eric Anderson
Senior Survey Technician
Rochester, MN
Eric Anderson

Postby Eric Anderson » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:35 am

Hate to say this, but I have reverted back to MSCAD 2014 for the current project I'm working on. I started it with MSCAD 2014, thought it was finished, and then upgraded to MSCAD 2015. We had to go back and revisit the project, but when I do so, MSCAD 2015 runs really slow/sluggish. It takes about 1-2 seconds to complete any command which is annoying.

Now that I'm back in MSCAD 2014 with the project, it runs like a dream. No sluggishness, no crashing.
Eric Anderson
Senior Survey Technician
Rochester, MN
Eric Anderson

Postby Eric Anderson » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:43 am

So, I think I figured out why MSCAD 2015 was being sluggish; I think it was due to having an attached image in the project (on a layer that is turned off). Once I removed that image, I can zoom/pan, select entities instantly without the 1-2 second delay. I do not have this issue in MSCAD 2014.
Eric Anderson
Senior Survey Technician
Rochester, MN
Eric Anderson

Postby Eric Anderson » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:43 am

Eric Anderson wrote:So, I think I figured out why MSCAD 2015 was being sluggish; I think it was due to having an attached image in the project (on a layer that is turned off). Once I removed that image, I can zoom/pan, select entities instantly without the 1-2 second delay. I do not have this issue in MSCAD 2014.

Going to install MSCAD2016 today to see whether it acts like MSCAD 2014 or MSCAD 2015 (hopefully MSCAD 2014). ;)
Eric Anderson
Senior Survey Technician
Rochester, MN
Eric Anderson

Postby Eric Anderson » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:33 pm

Eric Anderson wrote:
Eric Anderson wrote:So, I think I figured out why MSCAD 2015 was being sluggish; I think it was due to having an attached image in the project (on a layer that is turned off). Once I removed that image, I can zoom/pan, select entities instantly without the 1-2 second delay. I do not have this issue in MSCAD 2014.

Going to install MSCAD2016 today to see whether it acts like MSCAD 2014 or MSCAD 2015 (hopefully MSCAD 2014). ;)

So far, so good. MSCAD 2016 is behaving alot like MSCAD 2014 (Yea!) instead of MSCAD 2015. :D
Eric Anderson
Senior Survey Technician
Rochester, MN
Eric Anderson

Return to MicroSurvey CAD