DECIMAL SECONDS IN ANGLES & BEARINGS

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

DECIMAL SECONDS IN ANGLES & BEARINGS

Postby Michael N. Sprouffske, Sr » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:32 am

I am running MSCAD version 13.2.3.0. My project requires entry of bearings listed to 1/10 of a second. My angular entries require a correction angle to 1/100 of a second. My usual method of data entry is to include the decimal portion of data without adding a second decimal point. Inversing between two points created in this manner yields bearings rounded to the nearest second.

What, if anything, am I doing wrong?
Michael N. Sprouffske, Sr

Re: DECIMAL SECONDS IN ANGLES & BEARINGS

Postby DaveR » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:40 am

Try going to Settings>Drawing Settings, then in the 'Drawing Units' tab change the precision to whatever you want. Inverse and it will show in decimals of a second.

I find this only works when I have the 'Unit Type' set as 'Degrees/Min/Sec'. There seems to be a glitch where if I have it set to 'Decimal Degrees' and I change the precision to less than a second, when I inverse I still get results to the nearest second. So you probably have to stay in 'Deg/Min/Sec" for it to work. You will still be able to enter your angles in the format: DD.MMSSXX, though.
DaveR

Postby Michael N. Sprouffske, Sr » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:17 pm

Thanks Dave,
Setting degrees/minutes/seconds automatically changes surveyor's measure to azimuths.
I'm curious; is this a bug that's never been fixed or did it get fixed in an upgrade and will cost $$$$$$$$$$$$$$?

Postby Eric Anderson » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:04 am

It's not a bug, just an annoying little setting.

If you want both your Cogo and Inquiry/List options to display Bearings you need to make sure your certain settings match:

MicroSurvey Assistant>Set Program Defaults>General and then select the Bearings Radio button. Then do: MicroSurvey Assistant>Set Program Defaults>Drawing Units, Automatically selects Surveyor's units radio button, make sure under Angle Direction that the Counter-Clockwise radio button is selected and then make sure the Angle base is set for East. (Here is where you can set your display precision).

Now when you are using cogo, your inverse and traverse results will display in Bearings and if you use the distance inquiry button, the resulting display will also be in bearings and match your cogo results.

If you use azimuths then you need to MicroSurvey Assistant>Set Program Defaults>General and then select the Azimuths Radio button. Then do: MicroSurvey Assistant>Set Program Defaults>Drawing Units, automatically selects Degrees/Minutes/Seconds units radio button, make sure under Angle Direction that the Clockwise radio button is selected and then make sure the Angle base is 270 degrees.

Now when you are using cogo, your inverse and traverse results will display in azimuths and if you use the distance inquiry button, the resulting display will also be in azimuths.

If that is confusing, I can post some screen shots to help.
Eric Anderson
Senior Survey Technician
Olmsted County Public Works
Rochester, MN
Eric Anderson

Postby Michael N. Sprouffske, Sr » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:33 am

Thanks, Eric. I checked those settings and they were all as you stated.
Since I posted this I found that my problem was in using the CAD Line Computation app. When entering data with decimal seconds in Turned Angle, Traverse or Deflection I found that the resulting bearing was rounded down to .0000 seconds. Applying a bearing correction with decimal seconds yieled the same result. Interestingly, when entering more than one course, the bearing correction would unilaterally change format, displaying d.mmss.00. That's why I suspected a bug.

Michael N. Sprouffske Sr., PLS

Return to MicroSurvey CAD