Drawing defaults and templates question

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Drawing defaults and templates question

Postby camptech » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:27 am

Microsurvey CAD 2010 Ultimate
Windows 7 Professional (x64)

How do I configure MSCAD 2010 to
  • open on Layer 0 when I open a new drawing from my default template?
  • open with Linetype scale set to 0.5 and Global linetype scale set to my chosen default of 40.0?

When I open a new drawing from the default template, C:\Program Files (x86)\MicroSurvey\MSCAD2010\templates\icad.dwt, it always opens on layer VPORT. If I forget to switch to layer 0 before I import points and connect them with SDRMap coding, lots of things get drawn on layer VPORT which tends to screw things up down the road.

Under Settings > Drawing Settings [ Entity Creation tab]:
  • Linetype scale is always set to 1.0 and
  • Global linetype scale is always set to 10.0
even though I had specifically set them to 0.5 and 40.0 (to match my default drawing scale), respectively, prior to saving my template as icad.dwt in the above noted directory.

Note that when I had previously saved my "default, blank drawing" as C:\Program Files (x86)\MicroSurvey\MSCAD2010\templates\icad.dwt, I had set layer 0 as current, and had set the Linetype scale to 0.5, and Global linetype scale to 40.0. I had also created a new profile ( CadTools > Options [ Profiles tab ] --or-- command _OPTIONS or _CONFIG ) and set it current before saving my default template. I then exited MSCAD 2010 and restarted, after a 10 second pause, but still it opens on layer VPORT with linetype scale (0.5) and Global linetype scale (10.0). Grrrr....

Note that I had previously saved my "default drawing"
camptech

Re: Drawing defaults and templates question

Postby camptech » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:45 pm

I may be able to answer my own question / problem.

I think it was a permissions problem with trying to directly Save As ( File > Save As -- choose Filetype Drawing Template .dwt) a template file to C:\Program Files (x86)\MicroSurvey\MSCAD2010\templates. This directory is a "protected" directory. Although I did not receive an error message from MSCAD 2010 when I tried to do this (at least, not that was brought to my attention with, say, a pop-up error window), if I tried to manually copy a file to the C:\Program Files (x86)\MicroSurvey\MSCAD2010\templates directory, Windows popped up a window saying I could only proceed as an Administrator. Of course, I said yes.

So, when I tried to Save As directly to C:\Program Files (x86)\MicroSurvey\MSCAD2010\templates, I don't think that worked.

What appears to have worked was to Save As -- choose File Type template (.dwt) -- a new file in a folder local under my home folder, then manually copy that template file to C:\Program Files (x86)\MicroSurvey\MSCAD2010\templates -- choose OK when prompted for Administrator permissions -- and then rename that file to icad.dwt.

Alternatively, the MicroSurvey Project Manager (command _project_manager --or-- File > MicroSurvey Project Manager...) appears to open a .dwg just fine as a template:
  1. File > MicroSurvey Project Manager...
  2. At the bottom of the MicroSurvey Project Manager under the Template Drawing section, check Use Template, then select the [ Set Template ] button (to the right of the checkbox)
  3. in the Select Template Drawing window, navigate to the folder where the drawing (.dwg) or template (.dwt) file is located
  4. select either *.dwt (for a template file) or *.dwg (for an actual drawing file) in the Files of type field
  5. double click on the file you want to use as a template drawing file or select the file and click on the [ Open ] button

The resulting drawing had the correct Linetype scale and Global linetype scale in Settings > Drawing Settings [ Entity Creation ] tab.
camptech

Return to MicroSurvey CAD