description

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

description

Postby Stephen_P » Fri May 08, 2009 2:05 pm

we ever did a lot of tree surveys. trees are different species and sizes, canopies. for example, we use 200m4 representing 200mm diameter maple and 4 meters for canopy. I knew we can use wildcard. my question is if there are wildcards for discerning numbers and letters so i don't need to add a bunch of maple tree codes of different sizes to the library. another question is how to add two symbols for one description, for example a tree symbol for tree and a circle of real canopy size for canopy.

thanks.
Stephen_P

Postby Jason Poitras » Mon May 11, 2009 8:51 pm

Just do a search in your help file for "AutoMap". In the AutoMap editor topic it describes a method of scaling a symbol based on field observations. The method is called "Scale to Prev Pt".
Jason Poitras
General Manager
[email protected]
Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Postby Richard Sands » Tue May 12, 2009 12:59 am

If you want to get creative you could also set up a unique automap that takes into account the diameter.
Have just that entry (entries) in the autoMap .csv file and run that. It will create a symbol(s) of your chosing (colour/ shape/ layers) to depict the relevant diameters of canopy etc.
Then run another automap file for the 'tree' description with another smaller block for your 'tree'.
You may need to export your trees and run it on them and them MSCOPY the blocks of the trees back into your job as redoing another automap for the same points may mess it up.
been a while since I've done that but it does work - ie if its worth all the trouble.
Jasons pointer is the way to go, but you do require a strict routine in the field BEFORE you have processed the job obviously. That routine works very well.
Once you have done all that it would be worth exporting your elaborate creation as a block and save that to your HD in case of uneventfulls!
Rerunning automaps can over ride all previous entries if not careful in situations like this. It is known to happen and all your hard labour is out the window.
regards
Richard
Richard Sands

Postby Stephen_P » Wed May 13, 2009 7:58 am

thanks Jason, Richard. that's what i am looking for to solve tree canopy and symbol problem. i still think wildcard is good way to reduce larbor on library code typein.
Stephen_P

Postby Brian Sloman » Tue May 19, 2009 4:09 pm

Hi, Another option you may want to consider for using wildcards, is that a minor change to your coding format could let you do it. For example instead of 200maple4, using a format like maple200d4 would let you create a maple* entry in your AutoMap that will match all descriptions beginning with maple: maple200d4, maple100d2, etc... The same information is still all there in the description but just in a different order.
Brian Sloman
Development Manager
MicroSurvey Software Inc.
Brian Sloman
Product Manager

Postby Stephen_P » Thu May 28, 2009 8:38 am

Brian Sloman wrote:Hi, Another option you may want to consider for using wildcards, is that a minor change to your coding format could let you do it. For example instead of 200maple4, using a format like maple200d4 would let you create a maple* entry in your AutoMap that will match all descriptions beginning with maple: maple200d4, maple100d2, etc... The same information is still all there in the description but just in a different order.

Thanks Brain. How are the letters and numbers distinguished? for example, in code 200d4, how to extract 200 and 4? or for 200d4 and 100d2, how to distinguish them if I create only one entry "maple*". I still can't follow you.
Stephen_P

Postby Glen Cameron » Thu May 28, 2009 11:22 am

The wildcard * will tell it to ignore anything after the * is seen. So it will only match characters up to the * and not after. You can not tell it to look at 200d4 and ignore the d but still use the 200 and 4. If you had an example like MAPLE200d4 then in Brians example you could have a code in AutoMAP of MAPLE* and it would match all descriptions starting with the work MAPLE and then ignore all other characters when doing the matching.
So MAPLE 200d4 and MAPLE100d3, etc. would all be considered equal being the MAPLE is common and the rest is ignored.

To answer your original question directly, NO we can not do exactly what you ask with your examples. The advice Richard gave should assist you in drawing it to size, but the layering would need to be done based upon coding similar to what Brian mentioned.
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

Re: description

Postby sean2me » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:04 am

Hello,

I am currently using Microsurvey CAD 2016 (not SP1).

I have a series of codes such as BK1_OG, BK2_OG, BK3_ST

I see that I can use BK* to treat all BKs the same, any chance I can use BK##_OG or BK##_ST to treat them differently?

Is * the only wildcard character available to me? If not is there a list?

Thanks
sean2me

Return to MicroSurvey CAD