Purging layers

Discussion of MicroSurvey CAD related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Purging layers

Postby Glen A. Quarmby » Fri Oct 24, 2003 12:17 pm

I am trying to clean a drawing by purging all unused blocks and layers. I purged the blocks first and reran PURGE to delete the layers. A few layers were deleted but several were not. When I try to delete the layer from the ERASE_LAYER command it warns me and says the layer contains 0 entities. What is preventing these layers from being purged? :?
Glen A. Quarmby

Purging Layers

Postby Glen Cameron » Fri Oct 24, 2003 12:58 pm

Layers can not be purged if:
1) it is the current layer
2) the layer has something on it
3) the layer is referenced by a part in the drawing. (this is the tricky one because you may have no clue as to which part)
4) the layer is contained in a xlinked file
5) it is Layer 0 (zero)

So to follow your example - you probably have another part that was not exploded and purged, that is referenceing the layer. Even if nothing was drawn on the layer, if the part knows the layer to be part of it - it is in use and can't be purged untill that part is exploded and purged.

I hope this helps,

Cheers,
Glen W. Cameron, C.E.T.
City of North Bay, Ontario
Glen Cameron

PURGE LAYERS

Postby Richard Sands » Sun Oct 26, 2003 10:48 pm

Have you tried saving and closing then reopening the file? Then try a Purge. I have found this often 'frees' stubborn layers for some unknown reason. I thought this was fixed some time back, but I still resort to it on occasions and it works - BUT not always??
regards
Richard
Richard Sands

Postby Glen A. Quarmby » Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:33 pm

That is exactly what I found. Several layers refused to go for no known reason. A close and reopen seemed to work. Thanks.
Glen A. Quarmby

Return to MicroSurvey CAD