IPAQ Project File Storage

Discussion of FieldGenius related issues and questions.

Moderators: Brian Sloman, Jason Poitras, James Johnston

Glenn Eastman

IPAQ Project File Storage

Post by Glenn Eastman » Wed Nov 12, 2003 2:59 pm

We're using the HP2215 and the program seems to be running off the IPAQ
and storing files on the IPAQ not the CF card, isn't that what the card is for?
Did we miss something? is there a way to change the default storage device?
Thanks, anybody.
Glenn

Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Post by Jason Poitras » Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:34 pm

Hi Glenn,

FieldGenius will store it's projects in the same directory where the program was installed.

On the HP 2215, if you installed to the CF Card you should see a directory named MicroSurvey FieldGenius. In this folder you will see two other folders named Programs and FG Projects. The FG Projects folder is where your jobs will be stored.

Yes you're correct, it is important that you install the program on the CF Card as it protects your program and job files from deletion if the power goes dead on the HP 2215.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
jason.poitras@microsurvey.com

Glenn Eastman

Post by Glenn Eastman » Thu Nov 13, 2003 7:51 am

Jason ,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I do see the program and associated folders
on the CF card. the are also on the IPAQ, which is where it running and storing projects. I have tried removing it but it doesn't seem to want to be removed completely, it leaves behind a file in the windows folder, I forget what it is called. Anyhow I have also tired running the program from the card through File Explorer and it runs but still stores stuff on the IPAQ not the card. Any idea what we need to do? Thanks.

Glenn

Jason Poitras
Site Admin

Post by Jason Poitras » Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:40 am

Hi Glenn,

Since your last install was to the main memory, when you start FieldGenius it will start the one located there.

You also mentioned that when you removed it, there were some files left behind. This is normal, and we do this so the user doesn't accidentally delete any projects. You have the manually delete the MicroSurvey FieldGenius directory. ****Make sure you have copied your projects to the desktop****

What you need to do is:
1) Remove FieldGenius from the HP using the Remove Programs command.

2) Install FieldGenius from the Cab file on the CF Card, from CD or from our website. If you see a dialog that ask you to Repair, Modify or Remove, make sure to press Remove. Once you do this re-start the install.

3) During the re-install when it asks you to, "Install to the Default Location?" Make sure you press NO. This will then display the a dialog asking you were you would like to install, choose the CF Card.

You can also refer to the install instructions sent to you when you bought your unit. If you didn't receive them, let me know and I will email them to you.
Jason Poitras
General Manager
jason.poitras@microsurvey.com

Glenn Eastman

success

Post by Glenn Eastman » Fri Nov 14, 2003 8:08 am

Thanks Jason, followed your instructions and things are A OK now.

Glenn