I am running a computer with Windows Vista. When I try to install MicroSurvey CAD 2009 SP#1 I get the following error - error 1320, specified path is too long, c:\programdata\documents\spelling, then the installation aborts.
How can I install MicroSurvey CAD 2009 SP#1 on this machine?
**Update: MicroSurvey CAD 2010 and MapScenes 2010 now provide you the option to deselect the installation of the Spelling library. This will resolve the issue. You will be prompted to download a free library manually if you ever access the Spell check feature after installation.
The following document may describe how this issue was originally caused: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929831
Here are the steps that you need to follow to allow MicroSurvey CAD 2009 SP#1 to install:
1) Ensure you are logged onto your computer with full administrative rights.
2) Set the settings to see all hidden and system files and folders. This is done via My Computer | Organize | Folders and Search.
3) Go to the C:\ProgramData folder. In there you should see a Documents shortcut and an Application Data shortcut.
4) Make a new folder in C:\ProgramData\ called Temp and move the Documents and Application Data shortcuts both into this new Temp folder.
5) Create a new folder in C:\ProgramData\ called Documents (ensure it has a capital D and the rest in lower case).
6) Install MicroSurvey CAD 2009 SP#1.
7) After the installation finishes, move the Spelling folder from C:\ProgramData\Documents\ into your personal Documents folder. You can find your Documents folder by going to Start | Documents. If there are other users on this machine, they will have to copy the folder to their personal documents folder as well. You may need to originally copy the spelling folder to a location where they have access to this folder.
8) Delete the (now empty) Documents folder in C:\ProgramData\.
9) Move the Documents and Application Data shortcuts from C:\ProgramData\Temp, back to the C:\ProgramData folder.
10) Delete the (now empty) Temp folder in C:\ProgramData\.
11) Reset your folders to not display the hidden files and folders (if desired).
Now you should be able to run the MicroSurvey CAD 2009 SP#1 program. Follow the remaining steps described with the original installation documentation to active/update your USB key, etc.