The Handheld Nautiz has a battery which is rated to last for a full 8 hour workday. But these numbers are typically reported after testing under optimal conditions, it is entirely possible to have the battery run down in less than 8 hours if all the nautiz features are being used all day.
Here are some steps to optimize battery performance:
- Under Settings | System | Backlight | Battery power check the "Turn off backlight if not used for" checkbox and set a reasonable timeout value.
- Under Settings | System | Backlight | Advanced Set the Backlight brightness settings to the minimum required to see your screen under current conditions. You can turn this setting down in the evening or during winter.
- Under Settings | System | Power | Advanced check the "Turn off device if it is not used for" checkbox and set a reasonable timeout value.
- Look in Settings | Connections and disable any of the connection methods (ie: wi-fi or Bluetooth) if you do NOT use them.
- When work is interupted in the field, make it a habit to briefly tap the power button on the Nautiz to put it in "Sleep mode." Briefly tap it again and wait about 3 seconds to start it again. bluetooth connections will be retained. Be sure not to "Long hold" the power button to awake it or it will re-boot the device which is time consuming.
The Nautiz manual has some comments about caring for the lithium battery for long term service:
- Use the included AC adapter only.
- There is no need to fully discharge the battery before charging. You can charge the battery before it
- Do not charge the battery where the temperature is high (e.g. in direct sunlight).
As a protection against damage, your device stops charging when the battery’s temperature is
extremely high or low. In high temperature conditions, the charging stops when the battery’s
temperature gets above 70 °C (158 °F) and continues when the temperature lowers to 60 °C (140
F). In low temperature conditions, the charging stops when the temperature gets below -5 °C (23 °F)
and continues when the temperature rises to 0 °C (32 °F).
- If you will not use the product for a long period of time, be sure to fully charge the battery at least
once every two weeks. Over discharge of the battery can affect the charging performance.