Geoid Modeling using NGS Bin files in the USA
Posted by James Johnston on 03 August 2012 12:22 PM
StarGeoid can be used to create .ght files which are used in Star*Net to correct elevations for Geoid separation. Users in the United States and some international locations can use the National Geodetic Survey website to find ".bin" files which will be used as a source for StarGeoid.
1. First you need to select the appropriate .bin file and download it from the website below:
2. Save the file(s) in:
Windows Vista/7 or newer:
Windows XP or older:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\MicroSurvey\StarNet\VX.X\Models
3. Run the StarGeoid utility (installed with STAR*NET)
4. Identify the input folder by browsing to the location you have saved your .bin file(s).
5. Identify the output folder by browsing to the above Models or a location of your choice and create a name for your GHT file.
6. Select the "USA" radio button in the Type section
7. Specify your region by entering the latitudes and longitudes to create a rectangle that covers your territory.
8. Once you have created a .GHT geoid file you can recycle the .bin file(s) to save space on your system.